Tuesday, April 19, 2011

i used to know how to ride a bike...


i got pretty good at riding my bike
i was pretty cool...
riding a bike w/ a pink banana seat and basket
i even mastered the "no hands" method

i remember a mosquito flew into my eye one day
when christina and i were riding our bikes in elementary school
it was her dad who taught me how to ride a bike

she was my sister, her dad was my uncle, her mom was my aunt
her pesky little brother..
well...
he was my pesky little brother who always asked so many questions
we used to find jars of mold behind the couch 
they were bill's experiments

our parents always called us fish
because we would swim every day, sunrise to sundown
we were as tanned as we could be
we didn't care
we swam, and swam, and swam
unless we were making clothes for our little dolls

after the pool
christina's mom would wash my hair
i loved it when she washed my hair
she put conditioner on a comb
made sure my hair was detangled from the pool
but christina liked it when my mom washed her hair
my mom would splash massive amounts of water
i suppose she thought it was "refreshing"
i thought it was annoying getting water in my ear and all

those are my most vivid memories of elementary school
christina and i were like forest and jenny
really
we even wore the same clothes
made by her mother...
special one of the kind dresses
except christina always looked like a model
because she was (really, she was a model!)
i always looked like a ...
ok. we can skip this

christina and i were inseparable
until i moved to virginia

twenty years later
i find christina
on facebook

we talk
i cry

some things never change
we are still sisters

and she is still as beautiful as i remember


but some things *do* change

i no longer know how to ride a bike

as many daybreak viewers saw at the shenandoah speedway race*
(dont believe it when people say "it's like riding a bike")
that's a lie


*last year, i was in a "celebrity bike race" at the shenandoah speedway half time show... i had to ride a tricycle
no joke







No comments:

Post a Comment